Wednesday, August 14, 2013

About the header image: August 14, 2013


I was hanging out with my fellow writers after last month's Third Thursday Open Mic Poetry Night at The Vintage in Scranton. (The next edition is this Thursday!) I leaned against my car, rested my head on the roof, and looked up - and realized I could see both the Hotel Jermyn (home of The Vintage) and the Bank Towers building across the street. I pulled out my camera to see if it could get the same view, and here it is. The image is a time exposure, taken without a tripod, so the images are slightly blurred. It was also taken without a flash, so the illumination is provided by the ambient electrical lighting on Spruce Street in Scranton at night. The buildings seem to be leaning over the viewer, stone titans looking with disdain upon the puny humans below. Bank Towers is on the left, and the Hotel Jermyn is on the right.

(On a related note, the photography of Poet/Writer/Photographer Alvin K. Nurse is currently being featured at Starbucks in the Steamtown Mall in Scranton. His series is called "Scranton Looking Up," featuring photos of Scranton architecture taken from a view many people miss - looking up. His photos are on display through September 4.)


Submit your header photos to nepablogs@gmail.com .

No comments: