Tuesday, November 17, 2009

New blog: Scrantonist

Scrantonist

http://scrantonist.blogspot.com/

From the introductory post:
I wasn't born in Scranton, and I don't live there now, but it's where I'm from. I came of age there, and stayed for all the milestones of young adulthood. I left four years ago, to finish my twenties somewhere else. Sometimes I go back, see friends, get drunk, marvel like any other young thing a few years away from home at all that's changed and new. And every day that I'm away, living somewhere else, I think of this city and the people and places in it and all that's happened there.

And I want to remember some of those things here, like running through the then (and now, again) abandoned Nay Aug Park Zoo in junior high, spending high school weekends in the thick cloud of cigarette smoke on the second floor of Cafe del Sol on Mulberry Street, begging rides out to Sea-Sea's in Moosic for shows before it closed (and then burned) down, drinking six packs in the rock quarry when we were still underage, learning to dance and fight and laugh, making our own fun, screaming ourselves hoarse with frustration and hope in various apartments on various streets in one little corner of the earth.

This blog'll be a tribute to Scranton, a place to sketch the stories of what it was like to cut your teeth on heartache and friendship and recklessness in this particular city at a particular moment in time. I'll cast some memories here (with pseudonyms of course--it's a small town, after all) for my own sake and anyone who cares to hear them. I invite fellow Scrantonians to mark down their own moments of coming up in that town; I'm happy to post them here.

No comments: