Wednesday, September 21, 2011

PA Live! follow-up

Yesterday was the second Tuesday for PA Live!, and the second installment of the NEPA Blogs "Blog of the Week!" And in a bit of self-referential linking, the Blog of the Week was...NEPA Blogs! (Video should be available here, though I'm having some playback issues. Oh, geez, I really did go overtime there! The clip runs 2:55 - we were scheduled for 90 seconds!)

Once again I got to meet a lot of great people on the set. First up was Gabriella Conover, a Junior at Meyers High School in Wilkes-Barre who is working on a Senior project called A Project of Hope, a breast cancer awareness project. From the event's Facebook page:
This is Gabriella Conover's Senior project. This will be a breast cancer benefit dinner with a tee shirt sale and a Chinese auction. All proceeds are being donated to Candy's Place in Forty-Fort. I have been working very hard all threw out the year to plan this. Each dinner will cost $7.00 and tee shirts will be $10.00. You must pay in advance to lock in your spot. Dinners will be limited and will be eat in or take out. We are also currently accepting donations for the Chinese auction. If you are interested please contact Jacqueline Askew for further information.My total goal for this project will be $3,500. R.S.V.P September 28th. If you have any questions please feel free to send me a message and i will give you a number to call about further details.
The dinner is October 12, 5:00 - 7:00 at the Wilkes-Barre Area Voc-Tech school at 350 Jumper Road in Wilkes-Barre. The menu is Chicken Scampi, Mashed Potatoes, Carmelized Carrots, and Chocolate-Covered Pretzels - all fresh-made by students of the culinary arts classes, all for $7.00, eat in or take out. PLEASE CALL 570-991-8780 AND MAKE RESERVATIONS BY SEPTEMBER 28.   Gabriella'a project benefits Candy's Place, which lists the event on their events page. You can see Gabriella's whole interview here.

Also on the set were representatives from the Bayada Nurses, who specialize in providing home health care. I met Community Liason Mile Sokoloski and Division Director Garri Vickers, RN, MSN, CRNP. I don't see their segment online yet, but I'm sure it's coming!

Of course, no episode of PA Live! would be complete without something delicious being made on the set! On Tuesday's episode this was Pork Tenderloin Neptune, prepared by Chef John J. Hudak, Jr. of Vanderlyn's, located at 239 Schuyler Avenue in Kingston. It was made with the biggest shrimp I have ever seen, something like four ounces apiece! They simply had to be seen to be believed! I mean, look at them!


I believe Chef Hudak said these are called "#8"s - meaning eight or fewer to the pound. I later heard that these bad boys are actually four ounces apiece! That's some substantial shrimp!

So, what will next week's Blog of the Week be? That's a good question! I'd better get started on that...

2 comments:

Michelle HD said...

Gabriella Conover is an amazing girl to take on such an ambitious senior project. I really hope that she gets a large turnout!

Karla said...

Innovative and simply fabulous, I wish Gabriella much support and success!